On-Campus Recruiting, also known as OCR, is an important time in the school year. It only happens in the Fall, and most students are able to experience it just once. The Zicklin Graduate Accounting Society (ZGAS) would like to offer some tips on how you can prepare yourself for the upcoming madness:
- If you are not familiar with OCR, we recommend watching “Webinars: What is OCR?” which can be found on the Graduate Career Management Center’s (GCMC) website under “Resource Library.”
This is a very important step which most students often gloss over. Here are some suggestions:
- Schedule a resume review with a GCMC advisor. You can also attend resume workshops to improve your resume-building skills.
- Likewise, schedule a Mock Interview with your advisor. Your Mock Interview will be more effective if you have a specific target company in mind.
- View “Webinars: Interviewing Strategies,” also available in the GCMC Resource Library.
- Prepare your professional image ahead of time. Make sure you have the proper clothes, a folder to hold resumes, and possibly even business cards (which can be ordered through GCMC).
- There are many OCR events. You can find them on the GCMC or ZGAS Events calendars.
- Follow GCMC and ZGAS on social networks for event updates
- Research companies that interest you at events ahead of time. This will help you know who to talk to and what to say; it will also help you decide which events are worth your time.
- Remember, there are a lot of events! You are not expected to come to all of them!
- Pro-tip! The one event you should not miss is the CPA Fair, on September 5th from 12:00 - 4:00 P.M.
Come in confidently, speak with everybody on your list, and make sure to have a good time!
Good luck and we look forward to seeing you this Fall at OCR!